Saturday, January 31, 2009

Do I really sound like that?

Before I logged off Contact North to conclude our second Rec 130 class, I made certain to click on the PUBLISH button to ensure this session was recorded and would be available for students to view at their leisure.

Later that same evening from the comfort of home, I decided to do some multi-tasking. While watching my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs win yet another game, I logged on to Contact North to check out the PLAYBACK feature and view a bit of today’s Rec 130 class.

Weird…is the best word to describe my immediate reaction. I have been teaching college for over 25 years and have never been a student in my own class. It was an out of body experience to listen to myself from the vantage point of a student.

I did not anticipate the unintended consequence of me using this technology as a tool to critique my own teaching. I became transfixed, almost like Scrooge in that Christmas story where the ghost takes the grumpy humbug old miser on a not so pleasant trip down memory lane of Christmases past.

As today’s class replayed on the computer monitor in front of me, I could not help notice far too many areas for me to improve my teaching. Strange as it may be, this was the first time since my early days of teaching that someone (in this case me) was watching me with a critical eye and was willing to offer honest and helpful evaluation.

While this old dog has no doubt learned some things over his long teaching career; nonetheless, it was most informative for me to watch me at work. I learned some valuable lessons. Former and present students I am sure would take delight in seeing their old professor held captive as a student in his own class…truly a fitting punishment they would claim.

As I attended my own class it was surreal. I was dismayed and disappointed to observe some poor teaching techniques that I have casually slid into over the years. I was surprised at the lack of student interaction and engagement...something to work on...teaching is always a work in progress...watching the "video recording" may help me fine tune my game.

Contact North would be wise to market the PLAYBACK feature as a teaching training tool.

No comments:

 

phospho soda